This adorable tape resist art project can be made with supplies from your local dollar store for budget-friendly art piece you and your kiddos will love making!
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been feeling all kinds of crafty lately. Anyone else? You feel me. So, I made a quick trip to the dollar store to see what I could find. I was blown away! I really had to control myself because the craft section was on point.
With just a few materials (and a total cost of $3.00 I might add), I was able to make this adorable tape resist project. It was the perfect activity to do with my daughter on a rainy day.
What is Tape Resist Art?
The idea of tape resist is that paint or oil pastels won't stick to any area of the canvas that is covered with tape. So, wherever you place your tape lines, the color won't bleed into those areas.
Choose whether you want to use a 5x7 inch or 8x10 inch canvas. You can buy these in 3-packs at Dollar Tree or any dollar store.
Cut pieces of tape in varying lengths and place the tape lines on the canvas in any design you like.
I really love the random look of this. It's very geometric. You can try any design you like. This would be really cute with chevron lines or parallel lines.
Next, you'll color in the spaces with oil pastels. Choose any colors you like. You could even color all of the spaces the same color if you want a specific look.
Once all colored in, use your finger to smudge the oil pastels to help them blend on the canvas. Just make sure you don't mix colors when blending. Either wipe your finger clean or use a different finger for each color.
Now, all that is left is to remove the tape. The lines where the tape were will be white and create the space between the colored sections.
Other DIY Projects
- Homemade Lavender Soap
- 10 Free Spring Printables (perfect in a dollar store frame)
- 15 DIY Valentine's Decor Crafts
- 5x7" or 8x10" Canvas board
- Washi tape or Painter's tape
- Oil pastels
- Cut tape into different desired lengths for your canvas size.
- Place pieces of tape on the canvas into desired design. Free free to make chevrons, criss cross, parallel lines, or any design.
- Press the tape down firmly to make sure it is secure to the canvas.
- Color in the spaces on your canvas with oil pastel colors of your choice.
- Using your finger, smudge the oil pastels in each section. Make sure to wash your finger or use a different finger for each color.
- Remove the tape and enjoy your design!
You can do this with watercolor paint or acrylic paint. Make sure the paint dries for 2-3 minutes before removing the tape if using paint.