Make Cookies and Cream ice cream easily at home without an ice cream maker. Just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time for this deliciously easy frozen treat.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making ice cream at home is a special treat that the whole family can have fun making AND enjoy eating. Gone are the days, though, where you needed a special ice cream maker or ice and rock salt. This no churn method only requires a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Heavy Whipping Cream: You’ll find heavy cream or heavy whipping cream in the refrigerated section by the milk and coffee creamer. I’ve even used the shelf-stable whipping cream from Trader Joe’s.
You will want the heavy whipping cream to be very cold when you are ready to whip it. Stick the beaters to your hand mixer and the bowl you’ll be using in the fridge for 20 minutes before whipping. This will help the cream whip up easily and quickly.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: Sweetened condensed milk comes in a 14 ounce can and will be in the baking section of your grocery store. Take care to make sure that you don’t grab evaporated milk. We are not adding any additional sugar to this recipe. All of the sweetness comes from the condensed milk.
Vanilla Extract: Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, I recommend using REAL vanilla extract. It is worth it to have the pure flavor. Side note: Make your own vanilla extract using this recipe.
Sandwich Cookies: It’s probably obvious that I mean Oreo cookies, but I actually buy the generic or store brand of sandwich cookies. Same great cookies and cream flavor, just cheaper.
Also, feel free to try some of the more unique sandwich cookie flavors to add an interesting twist to your ice cream.
- Large glass or stainless steel mixing bowl
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- Ice Cream Storage Container or Glass Dish or Loaf Pan
How to Make No Churn Ice Cream
- First, mash up your sandwich cookies by hand or place in a ziploc bag and hit with a rolling pin.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the heavy cream until it is able to hold it shape when you turn your mixer beater upside down, also known as “stiff peaks.”
- Using a rubber scraper, fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. The gentler the better as you don’t want to deflate your whipped cream. To do this, scrape around the bowl sides and fold it in to the center of the bowl. Repeat until the condensed milk is full incorporated.
- Gently stir in 2/3 of your crushed cookies and place the mixture in your freezer container. This insulated ice cream container is what I have and love.
- Top with the rest of your cookie crumbs, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours.
Tips for Recipe Success
- Make sure your heavy whipping cream is very cold when you are ready to whip it. Stick the beaters to your hand mixer and the bowl you’ll be using in the fridge or freezer for 20 minutes before whipping. This will help the cream whip up easily and quickly.
- When stirring in your crushed cookies, fold them in by scraping the side of the bowl and folding it on itself. This is a more gentle way of mixing so that you don’t knock out all the air in your whipped cream.
- If your homemade no churn ice cream freezes too hard, run your ice cream scoop under hot water before scooping the ice cream. It will melt it just enough to be able to scoop.
The concept of no churn ice cream is very simple – whipped cream and sweetened condensed milk gives you your ice cream base. From there, you can flavor it however you like. Some tasty variations I recommend:
- Candied nuts – think Butter Pecan ice cream
- Any kind of chopped cookies or even chopped candy bars
- Try different extracts – vanilla is standard, but peppermint and almond extract are great, too
More Dessert Recipes
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- Crumble sandwich cookies by hand or place in a plastic storage bag and crush with a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form (it holds the shape when whisk is turned upside down).
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix gently so that the heavy cream does not deflate.
- Add approximately 2/3 of the crushed cookies to the mixture and gently stir to incorporate.
- Transfer mixture to a glass 9x9 inch container or an ice cream storage container. Sprinkle remaining cookie crumbles on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap or ice cream storage container lid and freeze for 8 hours before serving.
Feel free to use any variety sandwich cookie you like. Regular sandwich cookies will give you the classic Cookies and Cream flavor.
If covering with plastic wrap, press the plastic wrap firmly to the ice cream so that ice crystals do not form during freezing.
The ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g