Whip up a batch of creamy mashed potatoes packed with rosemary garlic flavor in your Instant Pot. The best part is there is no draining required and they're ready in under 30 minutes.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that mashed potatoes are the best side dish! I rarely make them, though, because peeling and boiling and mashing is such a hassle.
Enter the Instant Pot. Cooking the potatoes in the Instant Pot is essentially steaming the potatoes so we can get away with using A LOT less liquid. Just enough to not get a "burn" warning, really. The potatoes steam and then the extra liquid evaporates when we mash the potatoes.
Potatoes: I recommend using good ol' russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. Peeling is completely optional. If you choose not to peel the potatoes, make sure to scrub them well before cutting into 1 inch chunks. I have not tested this recipe with red potatoes, but I'm sure they will work well, too.
Cooking Liquid: I call for using water or vegetable stock in order to keep these potatoes vegetarian-friendly. Feel free to use chicken stock if you desire.
Garlic: For the garlic, all you need to do is smash the cloves of garlic with the side of your knife. Lay the clove on your cutting board and place the flat side of your knife on top of the clove. Using the open palm of your hand, hit the blade to squish the clove. It will break open the clove so that it will slip right out of the skin. There is no need to chop the garlic. The cloves will soften while cooking and mash beautifully with the potatoes.
Rosemary: You can use either fresh or dried rosemary. If using fresh, strip the leaves off of the sprig and pile them on your cutting board. Chop the rosemary until it is very finely minced. Measure out 1 tablespoon once chopped. If using dried, use 1 teaspoon. Dried herbs are more potent than fresh so you don't need as much.
Milk: Feel free to use milk, half and half or heavy cream here. I use milk because it is what I have on hand. Half and half or heavy cream will add even more richness to the potatoes.
Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter. In this savory recipe, the type of butter doesn't matter. You will want to cube the butter into smaller pieces so that it melts into your mashed potatoes more quickly than a whole stick.
Variations of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
If you're not feeling rosemary garlic, feel free to make any of the following substitutions:
- Leave out the garlic altogether
- Replace rosemary with chopped chives
- Use sour cream buttermilk or cream cheese in place of the milk for a tangy flavor
- Try olive oil instead of butter
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 Garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 cup Water or Vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Milk or Half and Half
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter, cubed
- Combine potatoes, garlic, rosemary, water (or broth), salt and pepper in the pot of your Instant Pot.
- Cover, seal and cook on "Manual" High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes. Then, turn valve to "vent" to release remaining pressure.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes in the pot for 30 seconds, allowing excess steam to evaporate from the pot.
- Add milk and butter to pot and stir or mash until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Freezer Storage and Reheating
Once potatoes are fully prepared, allow to cool completely. Place in a covered container or gallon size freezer bag. Release all excess air from the bag or container and freeze. To reheat: allow potatoes to thaw in fridge overnight. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Stir well to reincorporate butter. Microwave for 1-2 additional minutes until heated through.
Feel free to substitute rosemary for any herb. You can also use cream cheese or sour cream in place of the milk or heavy cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 932mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g