As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salisbury Steak gets a much needed upgrade with this Ground Chicken Salisbury Steak with homemade mushroom gravy. You'll never go back to the freezer dinner version after this!
Not only is this recipe easy to make, it has way more flavor than the microwavable version ever could. Onions, garlic and parsley are mixed with the ground chicken to make a deliciously savory Salisbury steak.
Then, everything is cooked in one skillet and the flavors build as you brown the steaks, saute the mushrooms and onions and make a quick brown gravy with the pan drippings.
When it comes to ground chicken, I recommend a mixture of light and dark meat. The dark meat has more flavor and helps keep the ground meat moist. If you are watching calories or cholesterol, feel free to use 100% white meat ground chicken
You can also use ground turkey or ground beef in this recipe if that is what you have on hand. It is handy to have a recipe on hand that is so versatile. That way, you can stock up on and use whatever happens to be on sale!
Meal Prep Options
The ground chicken Salisbury steak patties can be made and frozen in advance. Freeze them in a single layer on a sheet pan until the are frozen. Then you can transfer them to a freezer bag and pull out a couple at a time to cook. The gravy is made once you've cooked the steaks.
This main dish item pairs perfectly with some steamed broccoli and some mashed potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes for a perfectly well-balanced meal.
Ground Chicken Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion (grated or finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten-free flour, such as King Arthur brand)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee or dairy free butter)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten-free flour)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add ground turkey, grated onion, chopped garlic, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.
- Form the chicken mixture into oblong patties (about ¾ inch thick) and set aside on a plate.
- Add the flour to a shallow bowl and season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- Place a skillet over medium to medium-high heat on your stove and add the olive oil.
- Lightly coat your chicken steaks in the flour, then carefully lower them into the hot oil.
- Cook the chicken steaks for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned and crispy, and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the cooked steaks from the skillet, then place them on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the onions & mushrooms. Cook until the onions have softened and started to caramelize, and the mushrooms are softened, stirring often.
- Remove the cooked onions & mushrooms, and spoon them over the chicken steaks.
For the Steaks:
For the gravy:
- In the skillet where you cooked the previous ingredients, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or until a paste forms and starts to bubble.
- Stir in the chicken or veggie stock and whisk until thickened and warmed throughout.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour over the chicken steaks or into a gravy boat before serving.
- Ground chicken dries out easily, so there’s no need to add breadcrumbs to the steak patties.
- If needed, cook the chicken steaks in batches. If the olive oil browns too quickly or the pan drippings start to burn, drain the skillet and add fresh oil.
- Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g