This post may contain affiliate links. This site earns a small commission for purchases made from these links at no additional cost to you, the reader.
We may have finally turned the corner on all of this winter weather, but I still make chili on the weekly. It really is the easiest dish and it tastes even better as leftovers! I decided to gussy up my usual chili recipe by adding diced sweet potatoes. They add a really interesting sweetness that balances the smokiness of chili. And we can’t ignore that it is a great way to bulk up the recipe and stretch your food budget. Feel free to cut down on the ground turkey and add even more sweet potatoes and/or black beans if you like.
Freezer Meal Option
This dish also freezes beautifully. Just cool completely before transferring to freezer containers. I always make a double batch of this so that we can eat leftovers for a couple of days and throw a batch in the freezer for a quick dinner. This will be INSANELY helpful now that we’re officially in softball season.Print
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Sweet potatoes add an interesting twist to this easy, smoky chili.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 16–20 oz package Ground Turkey
- 3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 3 (15 oz) cans Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes (regular Diced can be used)
- 1 (28 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes (or Tomato Sauce)
- 4 cups Peeled, Diced Sweet Potato (approximately 2 lbs.)
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot.
- Brown the Ground Turkey, breaking up pieces.
- Add all Spices, Salt and Pepper. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes, Crushed Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans (optional).
- Stir to combine and cover. Reduce heat to Low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve or allow to cool completely and package in freezer-safe container for storage in freezer for up to 3-6 months. To reheat: Thaw in fridge overnight and heat in microwave or on stove until heated through.
Garnish with Avocado, Sour Cream or Shredded Cheese if desired.
To cook in Instant Pot: Brown the turkey using “Saute” setting. Add all remaining ingredients and cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
Keywords: chili, dinner, freezer meal
For another freezer friendly dinner recipe, check out my Mississippi Roast (without added butter!).