These Pineapple Whoopie Pies are so easy to make and are bursting with pineapple flavor. They’re the perfect dessert for Easter and Spring! We’re using boxed cake mix to make it even easier!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I think of Spring, I think of bright colors and flavors. Pineapple happens to be one of my favorite flavors (you MUST try this French Martini, too!) and these whoopie pies made using cake mix capture the flavor of Spring in a delightful handheld dessert.
These Pineapple Cake mix whoopie pies with cream cheese icing would be perfect for a bake sale, a fun weekend treat for the kiddos, or served at Easter dinner.
Cake Mix: I call for Pineapple cake mix, but you can use Yellow or White cake mix if that is what you have. We will be adding pineapple juice to the cake mix and crushed pineapple to the filling, so you’ll still get plenty of pineapple flavor.
Oil: Use any neutral flavored oil you have here: canola, vegetable. You can use olive oil or avocado oil, but they may affect the flavor of the cake.
Canned Crushed Pineapple: We are going to use the juice and the pineapple so save the juice when you drain the can.
Cream Cheese: I recommend using full-fat cream cheese. I feel low-fat cream cheese doesn’t have nearly as good a flavor. Just go for the real stuff, especially in your desserts.
Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter when baking. This way, you can control the amount of salt that is added to the recipe. Also, take your butter and cream cheese out of the fridge an hour before you plan on using it so that it is softened and easier to blend.
Assembling your Cake Mix Whoopie Pies
Once your whoopie pies are baked, you will need to let them cool com-plete-ly! If you try to fill them when they are still warm, your lovely cream cheese icing will melt all over the place. Patience is your friend here.
Use a small cookie scoop to portion two tablespoons of filling onto the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie and give it a little squeeze to sandwich them together.
You’re basically done here, but feel free to dust your pineapple whoopie pies with a little powdered sugar just for good measure!
More Cake Mix Recipes
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Pineapple Upside Down Fudge
- White Chocolate Peach Dump Cake
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- Brownie Mix Cookies
Cake Mix Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 1 box Pineapple cake mix
- 1/2 cup Oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup Pineapple juice, saved from draining crushed pineapple
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup Crushed pineapple, drained well
Instructions for Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a whoopie pie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, pineapple juice and eggs with a stand mixer or hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheet, leaving 3 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Once cooled, spread 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese filling on half (6) of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to create whoopie pies and dust with powdered sugar as desired.
Instructions for Filling
- In a medium size bowl, combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add crushed pineapple and fold with a rubber scraper to combine.
The prepared cookies can be left at room temperature for 2 hours. Cookies can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
The filling can be made up to three days in advance. The cookies can be made in advance and stored in a sealed container at room temperature or frozen until ready to assemble.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g