There are many uses for apple cider vinegar so it is no secret that it is often a staple kitchen item that you will find in many homes. Not only can apple cider vinegar be used for cooking, it can also be used for cleaning, improving health, and as a natural beauty booster.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to apple cider vinegar, you have two options. You can use the pasteurized kind that you find in gallon jugs for just a couple dollars, or you can use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar that contains the “mother.”
There are benefits to both. I buy the pasteurized, cheaper version in bulk and use it for all of my cleaning and beauty products. I go through it like crazy and don’t see the point in paying a lot when it is used in these applications.
For those occasions when my family will be eating or drinking the vinegar, I go for the raw version, so really you can choose which one best fits your budget.
Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar in the Kitchen
- Add apple cider vinegar to the pot when making broth to help release gelatin and minerals from the bones.
- Use apple cider vinegar in salad dressings and vinaigrettes.
- It is thought that apple cider vinegar can help aid digestion. Start with a small dose daily of 1 tsp of raw, unfiltered ACV.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used as a wash for fruits and vegetables. Fill your sink half full of water and add one cup of ACV. Let fruit and vegetables sit in the wash for 5 minutes. Dry completely before storing.
- Mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar are the base for many salads such as coleslaw and potato salad.
- Use apple cider vinegar in your pickling solution.
Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar for Health and Beauty
- Use apple cider vinegar as a natural hair rinse in place of conditioner. Mix 1/2 cup ACV with 1/2 cup water and pour on hair after shampooing; try my DIY Clarifying Shampoo.
- Make face toner by mixing equal parts apple cider vinegar with water. Soak a cotton ball and apply to face.
- Use apple cider vinegar as a mouth rinse to help whiten teeth and freshen breath, just make sure to rinse with water.
- Mix one cup apple cider vinegar into a foot bath for a natural detox bath.
- Mix 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with one cup of cold water and soak a washcloth in the mixture. Apply to sunburns for pain relief.
Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar Around the House
- Use undiluted apple cider vinegar as a natural weed killer. Pour into a spray bottle and spray the weeds directly.
- Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle for a natural flea repellent for your pets. Spray on their fur, especially around their neck. To be safe, test a small patch to make sure your pet doesn’t have a reaction.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar to two parts water (example: one cup ACV with 2 cups water) and store in a spray bottle as a great all-purpose cleaner. It won’t kill all forms of bacteria, but it is natural and safe to use.
- To get rid of fruit flies, pour about an inch of apple cider vinegar into a shallow cup. Cover it with plastic wrap and poke holes in the top. The fruit flies will be attracted to the smell and won’t be able to get back out.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a ziploc bag and secure around faucets and shower heads with a rubber band and soak for 10-30 minutes to remove rust and other build-up.
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural deodorizer. Mix equal parts ACV and water and spray on rugs and furniture to help eliminate odors.